Monday 26 March 2012

Evaluation - Question 3


What have you learned from your audience feedback?


Audience feedback is very important and to find out what my target market thought of my music video and print productions, to find out their opinions I took some surveys. This research method is the easiest way to get simple but useful information from my target audience. I used an online survey site called surveymonkey.com to conduct the surveys so that it was easy for the participants to fill in. I sent the survey’s links to 9 people on Twitter and also put a post on the All Time Low fan club site The Hustler Club and my Tumblr page. The reason I distributed the links this way was so that I could reach my target market. The people I sent the links to on Twitter are people who I know listen to similar bands and like the pop/punk/rock genre. Again this was the same with The Hustler Club and Tumblr because these sites are often used by people who are in my demographic.  Despite distributing the links for my survey I only had 6 people complete one of the surveys and 7 people complete the other, I did expect at least 10 people to fill in the surveys. This lack of response could be caused by many reasons but I believe that one of the main reasons is that as people within my demographic are the same age as me they have a lot of sixth form or college work to do so haven’t had time to fill them in.
The questions I asked in both surveys were straight to the point so that I could get as much useful information as possible. The first question I asked in both surveys was “Name/Sex/Age?” This is a very important question because you need to be able to distinguish between what males and females think of the product as it needs to appeal to both genders as there is a very even split of gender in the pop/punk/rock audience. The next question on the music video survey was “Would you watch the video again?” It was set out as a simple yes or no answer so that it would be obvious to see what my audience’s first impression of the video would be, out of the 7 people who completed the survey 6 people said they would watch the video again. This is good to know as it means overall it appeals to the majority of the target market, even when top artists release new videos or music it will never appeal to everyone in the genre as it is something new.  The rest of the questions I asked were about camera work, narrative and the mise-en-scene, these questions were to be rated out of 5 so that I could get a rough idea of what the audience thought of the finer points of the video. Overall, the 3 questions got a very good rating, at least 4 or higher which means that the majority of sections of my video appeal to my target market. The narrative structure was the part the audience least understood, this is because there wasn’t a really obvious narrative structure to my video as there wasn’t an actual story but if I was to re make the video this is something I would consider by adding a storyline with actors. This was a result I expected though as there wasn’t much I could do to create a storyline with what I had minus the actors. One of the last questions I asked regarding the music video was “What are the best and worst parts of the music video?” I got some unexpected answers such as “there was too many fireworks”. This surprised me quite a bit as the fireworks were only shown during the chorus section, also many of the other comments said that the fireworks were the best part, “The transition to the fireworks for the chorus is the best part.” As this was a qualitative question it allowed the target audience to write what they thought meaning the results are more informative, but in a different way, to the previous quantitative questions.
The survey for my print productions was very similar in its layout and type of questions as I again used the mix of qualitative and quantitative questions. The question I asked which, in my opinion, gave me the best results about my print productions was question 6 “Do the CD panels or magazine advert look like or remind you of any other productions?” This is because the answers were referencing other pieces of work such as Paramore’s cover for Brick by Boring Brick although some of the answers said the print productions were unique. Overall when I was creating them I was trying to make them be as unique as they possibly could be with slight influences to other similar bands, such as how I laid out the track listing on the back similar to that of All Time Low - Nothing Personal and the use of the woods like in Paramore’s video for Decode. Another questions that I have managed to gain some useful information from is question 5 “After seeing the CD panels and magazine advert, would you consider buying the album or listening to the band more?” All of the people who took the survey said that they would either buy the CD or listen to more music from the band, this means I have captured the genre very well as it appeals to the audience in the correct way - making them want to listen to the music and buy the CD. 

1 comment:

  1. Vicki this has been posted after the deadline has passed! All was meant to be on your blog by Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete